Is there someplace you’ve always wanted to check in, but just never had the time or money? Or a special badge that you’ve been hounding foursquare for? Well, you are in luck, because today is your day!
It has become an annual tradition here at Foursquare Day HQ to celebrate April 1st (also known as April Fools’ Day) to blow of a little steam and get….creative with check ins. Started in 2010 by @MissDestructo, Fake Foursquare Day marks the half-way point between SXSW and 4sqday is a fun, way to go crazy with your check ins.
It is really quite simple. There are just three rules:
1) Make up a shout about checking in, badge or oust. The more ridiculous the better!
2) Use the #fake4sqday hashtag. A link is optional.
3) Do NOT really check in on foursquare or make fake venues. (Just more work later to clean it up.)
To get your juices flowing, here are some examples:
- Simple: I’m in the john (@ home) #fake4sqday
- Educational: I’m lost in the catacombs. Send help! (@ St. Callixtus) http://bit.ly/eTXD9y #fake4sqday
- Braggadocio: This room is kinda eggshaped (@ The White House w/ @ BarackObama) #fake4sqday
- Group: I’m in a phone booth (@ Buckingham Palace) w/ 22 others) [pic] #fake4sqday
- Epic: I just unlocked the “Colonize Mars” badge on @foursquare! #fake4sqday
- Sad: I just unlocked the “Solo Swarm” badge (again) on @foursquare! http://bit.ly/fake4sqday #fake4sqday
- Oust: I just ousted @thatguy from My Couch! #fake4sqday
So go nuts. Today is your day! Run with it! We’ll retweet the best ones! View Stats on #fake4sqday here: http://wthashtag.com/Fake4sqday