So you’re thinking about having Foursquare Day in your city…? The global team is really proud of the incredible momentum that the Foursquare Day initiative has developed since Mayor Nate dreamt up the idea a month ago.
The good news is that if your city is still without a Foursquare Day, the global team is here to support you to quickly get Foursquare Day up in your own locale. Congratulations! We only have days to go to Foursquare Day, 4/16, but there is still plenty of time for you to bring your city into the global Foursquare Day swarm!
The first thing you want to do is to register your special(s) and/or event(s) at the official global Foursquare Day website, http://4sqday.com. You’ll see a link to all current Foursquare Day cities on the front page. The cities that have the most events in the database get automatically pushed to the home page. So get busy adding your event(s) right away!
Right! You’re all hooked into the firehose of information on Foursquare Day planning.
Well, we suggest that you take 10 minutes, and read up on a few items to help get your creative juices flowing. May we suggest the following standout items:
Here are some ideas to mull over:
- Start planning your swarm event as quickly as possible. To get the Foursquare Swarm Badge you need to have at least 50 unique Foursquare check-ins at the same venue within a single 3 hour period.
- Why not go for the exceptionally rare Super Swarm badge? Foursquare will be unlocking Super Swarm for Foursquare Day. To get this rare badge of honor, you will need to have at least 250 unique check-ins within that 3 hour period.
- Get local businesses to offer discounts or specials for people who check-in at their locations on Foursquare Day. Its great marketing for the business. Remember to add every deal to http://4sqday.com to improve your city’s rankings and say “thank you” to the business!
- Consider a scavenger hunt to help drive check-ins to stores and venues that are supporting your city’s Foursquare Day the most: simply design and print four (or 16) unique puzzle pieces and distribute a stack of each piece at different venues. Encourage the store or venue to give a puzzle piece to anyone who shows they’ve checked-in there. Whoever brings the all the puzzle pieces to your Swarm party can win a great prize from a sponsor (or just the eternal glory of being recognized as an Über-Foursquare user).
- Consider doing something cool and newsy at exactly 4:16PM in your timezone. Don’t forget to post the pictures and the videos online!
- Talk to the media! Call up the newspapers and talk to your local TV and radio. Foursquare Day, as a grassroots movement, makes a great and positive story.
- Blog, promote and blog again! Please consider using the Twitter hashtag #4sqday to help us to trend before and on 4/16. And please link back to global HQ: http://4sqday.com to improve Foursquare Day’s SEO.
Thanks again from the global Foursquare Day crew, here in beautiful Tampa Florida. You may like to check us out at this Twitter list, and if you have any other questions or you need help, support or advice, email info..at..4sqday.com
For more information, check out RESOURCES.
Simon Cousins, Co-organizer, Foursquare Day Global Crew & Group Chief Executive, Illuminant Partners Public Relations & Strategic Communications